8 March 1936
On this date in 1936…
The first stock car race was held on Daytona Beach, Florida.
- 1848 – Future Confederate General James Longstreet married Maria Louisa Garland in Lynchburg, Virginia.
- 1853 – The first bronze statue of Andrew Jackson was unveiled in Washington, DC.
- 1861 – St. Augustine, Florida surrendered to federal troops.
- 1862 – The C.S.S. Virginia began patrol near Hampton Roads, Virginia. The Virginia sank U.S.S. Cumberland, and damaged both the U.S.S. Minnesota and U.S.S. Roanoke on its first day.
- 1865 – The Battle of Kinston, North Carolina began.
- 1949 – WBAP-FM, began broadcasting in Fort Worth Texas.
- 1988 – At Fort Campbell, Kentucky 17 U.S. soldiers were killed when two Army helicopters suffered a midair collision.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved
Originally posted on 8 March 2017 @ 2:30 am